Mrs. Margaret Jones
Near the end of 1839, Mrs. Margaret Jones settled in what is now Cass County, Texas. Although we do not know Margaret’s maiden name or the circumstances of her birth, the 1850 census indicates that she was born in Ohio in about 1786. Family records tell us that eleven children were born to the marriage of Margaret and Oliver Jones between 1807 and 1831. Some time around 1825, after migrating through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, they settled in Jefferson County, Arkansas.
In 1838 Margaret and her grown sons began seeking land in Texas - first son Daniel in July 1838, then daughter Mary Patterson and son Andrew during 1939. Margaret, then a widow with several children still living at home, qualified as head of household for a conditional headright certificate for 640 acres in the Republic of Texas, eventually selling the rights to half the land and taking title to the other 320 acres near the Sulphur River south of Bowie County. Most of Margaret’s children located their Texas land grants near Bryan’s Mill and the Epperson Ferry and lived out their lives in Cass County.
Early tax rolls tell us that the Jones families owned land, horses, cattle, and swine. Since they apparently owned no slaves, it is likely that they did little farming but were probably engaged primarily in the livestock business.
Margaret Jones died between 1855 and 1860. A property conveyance dated October 1860 and filed in the deed records of Cass County names her heirs. The children of Margaret and Oliver Jones were John; Andrew; Mary (married John Patterson and then John Elliott); Lavina; Daniel; William; Oliver, Jr.; Wesley; Rebecca (married a Mr. Kemp, then Jeptha Davis); James; and Margaret.