About Edward Burleson
Edward Burleson (1798 - 1851)
A native of North Carolina, Edward Burleson came to Texas in 1830 and is perhaps best remembered for his distinguished service as a military leader during the Texas Revolution. He later entered public service as a member of the Texas Legislature from Bastrop County, and was the second man to be elected vice president of the Republic of Texas.
In 1848 Burleson, then a member of the Texas Senate, sponsored legislation creating Hays County and designating San Marcos as the county seat. Three years later, along with William Lindsey and Dr. Eli Merriman, he laid out the San Marcos town center. At the time of his death in 1851, Burleson was president pro tempore of the Texas Senate. He was the first person buried in what later became the Texas State Cemetery.
It was in San Marcos that Burleson made his last home, a log cabin built high on a hill overlooking the artesian water basin now commonly called Aquarena Springs.